About Me

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Thrift shop chair re-do!

Hi everyone! I have been looking for some cheap ways to furnish our new home so after looking on pinterest and other blogs, I decided I could easily recover an old chair from a thrift shop. My first step was looking through a bunch of junk at the local thrift shop and I finally came across this little "gem"

The color was hideous and the cover was dirty but for $20 I couldn't pass it up. On the way home I picked up fabric and piping from Joanns. I already had on hand from refinishing two old dressers primer, white paint and poly.  For the primer I like to use Zinsser Cover Stain. It covers really well and also makes it so you don't have to sand your wood too much. If sanding is preventing you from refinishing your old furniture, I highly recommend this product. For poly I like to use Minwax Polycrylic Protective Finish. It is water based and doesn't yellow the paint over time. Lastly, to my white paint, I added Floetrol, which helps you get a smooth paint finish and avoid brush strokes.

So as for my step by step process, I started by removing the old fabric. I had to remove about 1 million staples to do this but I wanted to do it carefully so I could use the old fabric as a template for how to cut the new fabric. Once I got down to the foam underneath I was pleasantly surprised by its quality so I decided to keep it.

While the cover was off, I primed, painted, and polyed the wood frame. After it was dry and had cured, I cut my fabric to a little bit bigger than my old fabric template just in case I made a mistake. Using a staple gun, I stapled my new fabric in the groove that the old staples sat in. Once that was in place, I cut the excess fabric with a razor blade (careful!!). After my fabric was cut close to the seam I used a hot glue gun and my trim/piping to hide the staples and raw edge of the fabric. It was pretty simple, but I did need another pair of hands to pull the fabric tight while I stapled.

Here is the after:

Here is a side by side of the before and after:
It is definitely not perfect but for my first DIY re-upholstery project, I was very happy with the outcome and for an overall cost of $60, I couldnt be happier with it.

I followed Censational Girl's blog of one of her chair re do's, she has better during pictures (she could have one and it would still be better than mine. I have none lol) so check out her tutorial here for a better idea of how to do it yourself!

Thanks for checking out my blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment