About Me

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Growing Belly

I found on pinterest a blog of a girl who took weekly belly pictures to document her pregnancy. You can find her blog here. I had wanted to do something like this with my first pregnancy but never followed through with it because I couldn't think of a clever way to do it. When I saw her chalkboard idea, I knew I had found what I was looking for.

I went to the thrift store and found a hideous picture in a ugly gold frame for $5. I knew following her instructions I could easily make a nice chalkboard. So I brought it home, took out the picture, and spray painted the frame white. Then I used the actual photo that was in the frame because it was printed on a heavy cardboard material that I could spray with chalkboard paint. After applying 3 coats of chalkboard spray paint to the photo, I reattached the photo to the frame and voila! I had my chalkboard.

I ran into a few problems at first. I thought the photo would be hard enough to stand up to regular chalk (Crayola) but it ended up just scratching the paint and not showing up very well. This is what I was left with:
It was a disaster. The flash from the camera bounced off the paint weird and with the way the chalk hardly showed up, I got frustrated and gave up for a few weeks. I thought about just doing it on a dry erase board but that wasn't the look I was going for. Finally, I remember that while I worked at Starbucks, I used to make the signs for the specials with chalkboard paint pens - perfect! I found them at Michaels, although I thought they were a bit overpriced for what they were but I was already a few weeks behind on my belly progress shots so I got them anyway. They worked perfectly!

Here is a my belly progress so far:












My goal is to take these for the rest of my pregnancy, so check back weekly to see them!

No comments:

Post a Comment